Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Passion and Purpose


Dean is Managing Director at a major global bank and a father of two. He refers the recession as a ‘dislocation’ because “things didn’t just recede, they came apart.” Dean is interested in the new popularity of middle-men or mediators in the banking process. His bank is doing a lot of this work – mediating large transactions for a ‘small’ fee.

“The arrogance has been stripped out… people are making an effort to do things right... by the book. And also, more importantly, people don’t want to be blamed if things go belly up. They’re allergic to negative press.”

But he wonders if this will last. “I hope it will, but I think that when people forget this pain the arrogance will slowly come back.”

Like many people in similar positions*, Dean is reconsidering what’s important to him. He believes he’s more honest with himself, but admits that this could be a function of his life stage.

“I’m not a big football fan, but I used to make the effort to stay informed so that I could be a part of those conversations (with other senior executives in finance.) Now I realize it’s not worth it. If you’re not passionate about something it soon becomes very obvious.”


Dean’s true passion is music. He’s in the middle of an Opera phase – he’s been listening to Opera almost exclusively for 3 months. “I’ve been wondering if it has something to do with all this (the financial crisis). I feel a total connection to it.”

“I’ve even been speaking to people about God and the afterlife… almost as a social experiment. I think people are searching for a god. Or for a purpose.” Dean sure doesn’t seem like a religious guy, but he is curious and thoughtful and obviously seeking more from life than another step up the ladder.

*An except from a recent article by Manhattan socialite Tatiana Boncompagni titled “The Party’s Over for the Hedge Fund Wives” describes a new candour amongst super affluent consumer;

'Many even seem relieved to finally be able to drop the bombast and get real… seated next to me was a hedge fund manager who, mid-way through his filet mignon, revealed that he was going through a mid life crisis. “I look back on the last five years and think ‘yes I’ve made good money but what do I have to show for it?”

Truth: Beneath the drive for wealth and success lies a very human need to for meaning and purpose. 

Challenge: Ignite their passions. Go beyond their surface desire for status and achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment