Monday, September 7, 2009

Picture Perfect

Looks. Wealth. A successful career. A gorgeous wife. Kerim's world is no doubt picture perfect. But it was his magnetic humor and his incredible lightness of being that convinced me that he wasn't really Turkish. He's an alien. Ok, maybe not, but he's definitely a rare species. Here's a little story from his holidays.

"I recently spent some days in Bali and went fishing with a local fisherman.  With a beaming smile, he took me to his distant water platform. We sat there, line extended, whistling, waiting, laughing at nothing and everything.  Suddenly we caught a fish, and he let me pull it in.  Grabbing it in his rough square hands his face opened in utter joy, just a like a child, and he laughed and laughed.  I was amazed!  He looked like he was catching his first ever fish!  I thought it so wonderful that he could feel such joy from something so simple and for him, so everyday! I felt a great sense of envy and admiration for his life.  The next morning, inspired by my new fisherman friend, I challenged my brother to our favorite childhood game: who can stay underwater for longer? He beat me. Again. But I bet you it had been a long time since someone had taken his breath away. Literally."

Truth: Even with all the money in the world, it is still our sense of wonder that makes every picture perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment